Who we are
The International Association of Human-Animal Interaction Organizations (IAHAIO) is the global association of organizations that engage in practice, research and/or education in animal assisted activity, animal assisted therapy, and service animal training. These activities serve to promote pet ownership, the human-animal bond, and respectful approaches to engaging with animals.
We have over 90 multidisciplinary member organizations and professional associations globally such as the AVMA, AAHA, JAHA, WSPA, and AAH-ABV in the veterinary medical field, the HABRI Foundation, ISAZ, and a wide range of academic centers, AAA and AAT practice organizations. The very large cadre of member organizations strongly positions IAHAIO to lead the HAI field in important directions.
Our mission is to provide international leadership in advancing the field of Human-Animal Interaction (HAI). This is accomplished through research, education, and collaboration among our membership, policy makers, practitioners, other human-animal interaction organizations and the general public.
For the fields of human-animal interactions and animal-assisted interventions:
- Promote new research, education and practice development
- Provide a forum for sharing ideas and information, and building collaborations
- Educate policy and decision makers at national and international levels about the benefits of both fields
- Hold regular international conferences
- Conduct a yearly annual general meeting, engaging member groups through joint symposia or dedicated tracks
- Sponsor policy statements/resolutions and declarations on issues related to HAI, for example the IAHAIO White Paper 2014
- Publish scientific and practice-based articles in the IAHAIO open access, peer reviewed online Journal, People and Animals: The International Journal of Research and Practice
- Provide an online forum for members, researchers and practitioners
- Publish a bi-monthly newsletter for members, supporters and the public on HAI happenings around the world
- Establish international task-forces to address pressing issues in the field, for example the international task-force for standards in AAI best practice and animal welfare