IAHAIO has produced several Declarations since 1995, each voted on and adopted by its membership. These provide guidelines to encourage best practice across a range of HAI-related activities and initiatives, including Pets in Schools and, more recently, the promotion of One Health.
IAHAIO urges all international bodies concerned and all national governments to consider and activate these declarations and resolutions. Scholars are invited to incorporate these Declarations in their presentations and works, with the appropriate reference to IAHAIO.
- In 1995, at the IAHAIO conference in Geneva, Switzerland, the members of IAHAIO adopted The IAHAIO Geneva Declaration, which listed their resolutions related to human-animal interactions.
- In 1998, an additional resolution was adopted at the IAHAIO conference in Prague, Czech Republic, The IAHAIO Prague Declaration, which listed their guidelines related to animal-assisted activities and therapy.
- In 2001, at the IAHAIO conference in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, The IAHAIO Rio Declaration on Pets in Schools was adopted.
- In 2007, at the IAHAIO conference in Tokyo, Japan, The IAHAIO Tokyo Declaration was unanimously approved by the General Assembly.
- In 2013, at the IAHAIO conference in Chicago, USA, The IAHAIO Chicago Declaration was unanimously approved by the General Assembly.